Periodontal disease is the leading cause of tooth loss amongst adults…
Ranging in severity from gingivitis right through to serious cases of periodontitis, periodontal disease (also known as gum disease) can have a devastating impact on your oral and overall health. The symptoms associated with gum disease include:
- Bleeding gums – Gums should never bleed, even when you brush vigorously or use dental floss.
- Loose teeth – Also caused by bone loss or weakened periodontal fibers (fibers that support the tooth to the bone).
- New spacing between teeth – Caused by bone loss.
- Persistent bad breath – Caused by bacteria in the mouth.
- Pus around the teeth and gums – Sign that there is an infection present.
- Receding gums – Loss of gum around a tooth.
- Red and puffy gums – Gums should never be red or swollen.
- Tenderness or discomfort – Plaque, calculus, and bacteria irritate the gums and teeth.
If you do suffer from periodontal disease, Dr. Jared Shore can employ a range of periodontal treatments detailed cleaning, laser treatment or various medicines to help restore health to your gum and bone tissues.